Best-Practice: Netherlands - Accrual Policies

• 19 May 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • Former Personio Employee
  • 4 replies

Dear Personio Community,

In the Netherlands, there are 2 different types of paid leave entitlement.

Full-time employees are entitled to a minimum of 20 days of paid holiday leave per year (‘Statutory Leave’) which expire 6 months following the end of the year in which they were accrued. 

The second type of paid leave entitlement is ‘Non-Statutory Leave’ which is the paid leave entitlement above the statutory minimum. The amount of days depends on the company’s own regulations and expires 5 years following the last day of the calendar year in which the entitlement has been accrued. 

In Personio you have the possibility to take both leave types into account by creating two corresponding absence types. Name the first absence type “Statutory Leave” and set the accrual carryover limit to June 30th of the following year and name the second one “Non-Statutory Leave” with an unlimited carryover.

Following please assign both accrual policies to your employees and inform them to take the Statutory Leave first. Besides that, if you would like to make sure Non-Statutory Leave is taken within 5 years you can also create an annual reminder for managers to check their employees’ Non-Statutory leave balance. Further information on how to configure reminders can be found here

What are your thoughts on this configuration? Do you have other ideas how to best map both leave types? 

Disclaimer: our web offer is for non-binding information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice in the actual sense. Click on “Show Content” to read the full Disclaimer.

We would like to draw attention to the fact that our web offer is for non-binding information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice in the actual sense. The content of this offer cannot and is not intended to replace individual and binding legal advice that addresses your specific situation. In this respect, all information offered is without guarantee of accuracy and completeness.

The contents of our website - especially the legal articles - are researched with the utmost care. Nevertheless, the provider cannot assume any liability for the correctness, completeness and topicality of the information provided. In particular the information is of a general nature and does not constitute legal advice in individual cases. For the solution of specific legal cases, please consult a lawyer.

This thread has been closed for comments. If you have an additional question,
just click on the "Ask the community" button above to create a new post! :)

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi @Dide and @Evelien Eijsink,

Did you manage to configure different types of paid leave entitlement?
Feel free to comment if you have any question or input to share 😊 

Best,
Daniele

Badge

@Dide @Daniele 

We made 2 separate absence types with different Carryover limits. We assigned both to all of our employees. It is not ideal because you can not select 5 years of carry over limit with the non-statutory days, but it works for now. (See images for settings). Hope that works for you!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi all, 

We did exactly this, in the way you described it. It is not ideal, and I receive lots of questions (Which type did I have to finish first again? I can only see 20 days, is something wrong?) on an almost daily basis from our 60 colleagues.. Did you manage to avoid that? If so, how? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello @ExpatMortgages !

Thank you so much for your message! I hope this one finds you well.

It is true that this workaround requires internal communication, as you will need to send a message explaining how it works and what is the first type your employees need to be be taking (Statutory before Non-Statutory as they expire before).

There is another way to do it, but it brings its challenges as well: I have seen other companies grouping the two together and have one Absence Type with 25 days (that way you do not confuse your employees with two different leave types). Nevertheless, this would require you to be more vigilant with the carryover: you normally have different rules applying according to the leave type, but here you can only have one rule.

It means that the absence balance will probably have to be updated every year when the carryover for the Statutory Leave expires. But your employees will know how many days in total they have left and they will not contact you about the structure of your absence types.

Do you think that could work for you? Or perhaps you need to have the two separate types for legal reasons?

I am looking forwards to hearing from you!

Kindest regards,

Cécile.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi Personio,

I’ve read the above discussion and I still feel the need to ask how far you are with maybe implementing the Dutch system into Personio? We work with the work-around as @Evelien Eijsink described, but we still would love to see the 5 year period in the non-statutory leave. Next to that, we would like absence in hours in stead of just days. In participated in the trial, but is that done testing and can we use it already or what is the situation?

Thank you!

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi @AnoukH,

Thank You for reaching out. I am linking here the idea that you previously submitted. 
So far it has no received no upvotes, so everybody who is interested in it, make sure to click on it and upvote so it can gain more visibility and our Product Team knows how much interest there is. @Evelien Eijsink @ExpatMortgages  (Anouk, you can upvote your own idea, too).

As far as I know, this feature is not planned yet, but we will of course update you in case anything changes.

Regarding the Hourly Absences, Thank You for participating in the trial! The feature is not released yet, and I suppose it is still in development. I will ask the Product Team to see if there are any updates and get back to you :)

All the best,
Daniele

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi @AnoukH,
As promised, here is the update about the big new feature: Absence tracking in Hours.
You should have received an email about it yesterday, but I will share it also with the Community:

The Beta test got the the next phase, allowing you & other Beta Testers to create & assign accruals for Absence Types tracked in hours.
We will be collecting feedback & further improve the feature if needed, and are planning to release the final version for everybody by the end of this year.

So stay tuned - you will find all the new releases in the Product Updates section of the Community. 

Please let me know in case you have any questions.

Have a lovely rest of the week,
Daniele

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

In addition to this topic: the standard accrual policies in Personio are based on the number of days an employee works. For instance, an employee works 30 hours a week divided over 5 days of 6 hours. This employee get the full accrual policy. This is not correct in the Netherlands, the pro rata should be based on working hours instead of workday days. Anyone has a workaround for that?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@marielle.van.wieringen we have the same issue! We manually adjust the number of holidays for each of the colleagues this issue applies to.. I haven't found a better way around this just yet.