Answered

Workaround for approval

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Dear Community,

For those of you who use time tracking with approval - I'm curious to see how you have solved the notifications to the manager about approving the times?

If notifications are on, they get one email per time entry, meaning at least one notification per day. This is way too much for our managers who already get emails frequently. At the moment the solution is to email them once/month to remind them to approve the hours for their employees, but this is of course manual work.

Anyone who has a recommendation for a more automated workaround?

Linda

icon

Best answer by Mara 23 April 2021, 15:11

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Linda, 

Thanks a lot for your post and for sharing your workaround. 

You’re right, once the approval process has been set up and depending on personal preference, the responsible approvers receives email notifications. And if email notifications are disabled, a to-do appears on the dashboard of the approver.
More details about how to configure personal notifications can be found here.

Please bear in mind that for attendance approvals the approver receives dashboard notification bundled per employee and email notifications bundled per day for all requesting employees in the morning of the next day. Consequently approvers are not notified about every single attendance entry but only once per day.

Another alternative could also be to create an attribute “Approval Reminder” of the type Date and to set up 12 different reminders (one per month) for the employee role that includes all managers / approvers. 

What do you think? Would this one-time manual effort pay off in the longterm? 

I’d be keen to hear your thoughts on it as well as further solutions. 

Warmest, 
Mara 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Mara,

Many thanks for the suggestion. To turn the approvals off is not an option as it also turns the notifications for holiday approval off at the same time.

The workaround with the customised attribute with reminders I think it a better option and I’ll try that one!

Best regards,

Linda

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Linda, 

I hope all is well and that you enjoy using Personio. 
Just dropping a note to follow up how the suggested solution has worked out for you. 
We’d love to hear your thoughts on it. 

Have a great day. 

Warmest, 
Mara 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Mara,

Thanks for following up. Yes it has worked as intended although it’s a slightly clunky workaround to have to add all those attribute in the profiles. 

A great day to you too!

Linda

Badge

Hi Linda, 

I am curious as how this workaround works, as I have the same problem.

The thing is, the approver will receive a reminder via email once per month (one-time manual setup done by Admin) but he/she will STILL receive in the dashboard all the daily approval requests, right?

How this can solve the issue of having someone overwhelmed by approval requests (1 x day per employee for attendance + any other holiday approval request)

Please, can you clarify?

Thanks in advance and best regards, 

Clara

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Remember to tag users with the @ symbol for them to be notified when you ask them something 😊. I tag @Linda Merrett here to share her wisdom with you, Clara. 

Best,

Andrea

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Clara I must admit that I don’t remember anymore as it was a long time ago and the project with that client is finished, but I think they indeed still received the notification on their dashboards so it was definitely not an ideal setup. @Andrea, do you have a better solution or suggestion here?

Linda

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Thanks for your reply, Linda 😊.

@Clara: so the workaround helps managers by not receiving email notifications about attendances on a daily basis. Through the reminder workflow, they are notified only once per month about the approvals of attendances.

Notifications on the Dashboard cannot be deactivated, though. In this case, managers are aware that they don’t need to approve anything related to attendances until the reminder is triggered for them per email. 

Does this clarify the workaround a bit better for you? 

I understand this may not be an ideal solution, and I would like to encourage you to post this suggestion of improvement in our ideation area. This way, other users will be able to vote for it, and the suggestion will be shared with our product team. 

In order for us to fully understand your idea, I share with you a couple of questions that your description should clarify when posting in the ideation area: 

• What would you like to achieve with Personio?  What issue do you need to solve?

• Why? What would be the added value for you? 

• How are you solving it right now? 

The more details, the better! Make sure to add the link to the idea in this thread, so that other users that find your question can upvote it. 

Thank you in advance for sharing your ideas with us 🙌🏽.

Best,

Andrea

Hi! 
I am encountering the same problem and I see that it is a problem that was exposed 2 years ago. 8 months ago was the last update. 
Are there any product changes expected soon for this problem?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Good day @Carlos C.,

Welcome to our Community, we are thrilled to see you here!

Any updates regarding suggestions for improvements will be shared in our ideation area. If you can’t find an idea that describes the improvement you wish for, we would be thankful if you’d share it with the community here

For the topic of notifications for managers, the following idea was shared:

Please vote for the idea to get notified in case our product team plans to implement it. 

Thank you and have a lovely afternoon.

Best,

Andrea

Your reply