Answered

Absence request that exceed the entitlement

• 4 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I wonder if you can help me to find a solution to an issue we are having with staff being able to request holiday over their allocated entitlement.

example last year we have someone take 3.5 days more than the absence setting should allow, they were allocated 15 days and were able to take 18.5. Is there a box I’m not ticking or is this a serious fail in the system?

Is our only fail safe the line manager (approver) surely it should flag to say you don’t have allowance for this or atleast tell the manager they dont.

Please help

icon

Best answer by International Support Team 5 May 2023, 17:19

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5

Hi @Tabatha 

I am afraid currently it is not possible to limit the usage of Absence types, the only solution currently is to assign an Accrual policy with the required amount and then create an Approval workflow and have the approver monitor that they do not approve more than the assigned allowance. Please note at the moment there is no limit to how negative the balance can go and the approver will need to be wary of this when approving Absence periods. 

Employees have flexibility in requesting more than they are entitled to in the given period which will provide a negative balance, and the days taken above the entitlement will be deducted from the Accrual balance in the following year.

I understand however how it would be useful to be able to set a rule that users are not able to request above the days they are entitled to. I see that another one of our community member has already posted this as a development idea on our Community - you can find the post and the comments here and please feel free to comment and upvote the idea - this is important as with more votes the product team can see the demand for this feature and prioritise it! 

For now, what we can recommend is to educate the users and managers to mind their balance when they request/ approve Absence periods. Managers can see the balance when reviewing the absence request, and the negative balance will be highlighted in orange from the Absence timeline view: 

?name=Screenshot+2022-12-19+at+17.16.13.png

Additionally the supervisors should also get a notification as seen below once one of their direct reports is in a negative balance:

I know it is an extra step for the users, but then the idea is that the manager can reject the request and come back to an employee with an explanation.

I hope this helps and if you have any other queries please let me know!

All the best, 

Erica

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi, Thanks for the above the, could I just ask at what point they would receive the notification on the member of staff going over….ie would it show as they have requested holiday that would take them over? or would this just show after they are already over their allowance? 

Userlevel 5

Hi @Tabatha

No problem at all! The approver should see the orange warning as seen in my last reply when they are approving the absence request from the Absence timeline and then the notification of the negative balance would only be after an absence period is approved that puts the employee into a negative balance. 

I hope this helps and that you have a lovely rest of your day! 

All the best, 

Erica

Your reply