Public holidays - part timers

• 23 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi all ,

A question to all of you about the application of public holidays with part-time employees (under 40 hours ) : 

Scenario : If X works  32 hours a week (Mon- Thurs ) and a public holiday falls on Friday , do you all compensate for the hours this person misses as having a public holiday (since he will miss taking any public holiday that falls on Fridays ) (refer : https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/economie/artikel/5346961/parttimers-compensatie-gemiste-feestdagen-college-rechten-mens)

Is this something that anyone has effectively implemented within Personio by prorating the hours when a public holiday falls outside of their regular working hours  ? Or how is this being done ? All input is appreciated 🙏

Thanks all !

Sumi

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @suminair,

I am not sure how other companies are doing this, but I am happy to ask internally how we do it in Personio. I will let you know as soon as I have an answer from my colleagues.

Happy afternoon!

Best,

Andrea

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Good morning @suminair,

I have received an answer from my colleagues, and they let me know that we don’t give any remuneration or extra free time to our part-time workers for public holidays that fall outside their work schedule.

If you would like to remunerate or give extra absence hours to your part-time employees, I recommend adding a one time compensationor an hourly absence type to compensate for the missed free time.

Let me know if there is anything else I can support you with :).

Best,

Andrea

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

@Andrea @suminair This is an interesting question.

In Ireland at least the employment regulations provide that where a public holiday falls on a day the employee does not normally work, they are still entitled to the benefit of the public holiday in the form of one of the following (providing they have worked a total of 40 hours in the previous 5 weeks.)

• a paid day off within a month of that day
  • an additional day of annual leave
  • an additional day of pay at one fifth their normal weekly wage

Is this not accounted for in either the accruals or the payroll reporting or it a manual calculation?

Also, if an employee ceases to be employed during the week ending on the day before a public holiday, having worked during the 4 weeks preceding that week, the employee is entitled to receive pay for the public holiday. Is this accounted for in payroll reporting?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thank you for your input on this  @Andrea @Volvic 

Currently we do not do anything with it and it is something new to implement. I was told that the way this could be allocated(possibly ) is :

If X works 32 hours and misses out on a public holiday , then basically we prorate the hours ie 32/5 so then the person is allocated 6.5 hours each day . This way they would effectively work lesser hours and get paid for the public holiday @ 6.5 hours .

However trying to figure how I can set this up on Personio has been a bit of a puzzle 😅

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @suminair,

Your calculation makes sense for me. If the 6.5 hours should be paid out, then I think the best option is to add a one time compensation for this! You can import the values to several employees at once through an import. See the instructions for this here.

Or in another case, also granting an extra holiday would make sense, since it would also count 6.5 hours in the case of your part-time employees. This can be done through a manual adjustment. 

Thank you so much for supporting your peers @Volvic  🙌🏽.

The main goal of the Community is that users support each other and share their knowledge and best practices about HR and Personio. I have awarded you the Chapeau! badge for this: 

Keep going 💪🏼 🔥! 

Best,

Andrea

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks @Andrea I will try that out.

Your reply