Answered

Vacation accrual during unpaid parental leave

• 28 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi, in Germany, during Parental Leave (different to maternity protection!), no vacation should be accrued by the employee. How do I set up the Parental Leave absence in a way that for x months where an employee is in Parental leave, his annual vacation allowance is reduced by x/12ths?

Many thanks for any tips,

Dima

icon

Best answer by International Support Team 29 June 2023, 16:41

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5

Hi @dimasoudeikine

Thank you for reaching out to the community with your question! For each full calendar month (from the first to the last day of the month) of the leave period, the employee’s leave entitlement is automatically reduced within Personio.  These are the steps to follow in case you would like to setup Parental leave:

1. Go to the Employee profile and click the (...) button.

2. Click Schedule leave.
  3. In the Schedule a leave period window, define the leave's period.
  4. Choose the Parental Leave Absence Type from the dropdown menu. If you don’t, you will need to manually add the leave period to the Absence Timeline.

5. Optionally, add a Comment
  6. The employee's status will automatically change from Active to Leave.

Thanks once again for your community question. In this article you will find more information regarding Parental leave. 

Best,

Sofia

Hey Sofia, 

Thanks a lot for the detailed response! Really appreciate it.

I have a couple of follow up questions, however:

1. Does that mean that if an employee is on Parental leave from the 1st of the month to the 29th, then no automatic vacation allocation deduction takes place?
  2. What happens if an employee is away for almost two months but (for example) the leave is from 3rd June 2023 to 28th July 2023 - since neither is a full month, no deduction takes place at all?
  3. Can this type of vacation-allowance-deducting leave be done via the normal “request absence” feature by the employee themselves or does it have to be done by an admin via the “Schedule leave” steps you outline above?
  4. One of our colleagues has taken almost 50 days of parental leave, yet no vacation allowance deduction has taken place - is this because they have not been complete months or because we did not “Schedule Leave” via the steps outline above?
  5. For this same colleague, I have scheduled the leave via the steps above, but his status is still “Active” → is this because it is not a full calendar month?

I would be really grateful for some further answers on this!

Thanks a lot,

Dima

Userlevel 5

Hi @dimasoudeikine,

Thank you for your reply.

1. Does that mean that if an employee is on Parental leave from the 1st of the month to the 29th, then no automatic vacation allocation deduction takes place?

Answer to question 1: Yes that’s correct because the employee didn’t took the full month.

2. What happens if an employee is away for almost two months but (for example) the leave is from 3rd June 2023 to 28th July 2023 - since neither is a full month, no deduction takes place at all?

Answer to question 2: Yes that’s correct because the employee didn’t took the full month.

3. Can this type of vacation-allowance-deducting leave be done via the normal “request absence” feature by the employee themselves or does it have to be done by an admin via the “Schedule leave” steps you outline above?

Answer to question 3: It has to be done by an Admin via “Schedule leave”.

4. One of our colleagues has taken almost 50 days of parental leave, yet no vacation allowance deduction has taken place - is this because they have not been complete months or because we did not “Schedule Leave” via the steps outline above?

Answer to question 4: if the parental leave wasn’t done by steps outlined above, this might possibly be the reason, in this case I would suggest you to contact my colleagues from support so they can have a view in your Account.

5. For this same colleague, I have scheduled the leave via the steps above, but his status is still “Active” → is this because it is not a full calendar month?

Answer to question 5:

In this case, I would suggest you to contact my colleagues from the support team via Find Answers.  My colleagues will be able to log in into your account and check the settings together with you.

Be aware that only Contract and Account owners can contact our support team. In case you are not registered as such, please contact your colleagues in the role, or add this information in your account. You can find out how here.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can support you with.

I wish you a lovely day.

Best,

Sofia 

Your reply