Answered

36 hours work week & Vacation calculation - the NL

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey all,

Coming with a question from the lowlands :D We are currently having a number of employees that work 36 hours per week. We’d like Personio to automatically update the outstanding vacation days once it knows that the employee has switched from 40 hours to 36 hours. Currently, Personio is able to do that for 32 hours, but it seems that 36 hours does not automatically trigger Personio to make the right changes. 

Is an update coming to introduce this automatic rule? And has somebody though of a work around that has little to no human error in it?

Thanks,
Hristo

icon

Best answer by mruscito 7 March 2023, 11:06

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi @H99 !

It sounds like the difference between your 32 and 36 hour schedules may be partly due to the way that the schedules are configured.

I am assuming that the 32 hours are spread over 4 days in the work schedule (i.e. Monday-Thursday) and the 36 hours are spread over 5 work days (full days Monday-Thursday, half-day Friday). Is this correct?

Our system calculates vacation entitlement based on the number of work days in the work schedule, and not work hours. For this reason, the system will not prorate vacation days accordingly if you are alternating between a 40-hour and 36-hour schedule, but both have the work hours spread over 5 work days. 

You of course have the option to spread the 36 hours over 4 days instead of 5, however this still might not fix your issue. Why? Because the number of work hours are not taken into consideration for calculation vacation time, only work days. So, it would be the same outcome if you assigned the person the 32-hour schedule.

This is a hot topic for many Personio users, and our Product Team is aware of this limitation. @Mlenero has already posted this idea in our Ideation section, please do upvote it if you think it’s a worthwhile feature to include!

The solution (for now)? Make a manual adjustment in the vacation days balance in the employee’s personal Absence tab. 

Do let me know if you have any further questions!

Megan

Megan

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Megan,

Thank you for letting me know. Manual adjustments it is. Also, good to hear that you are very aware of the need of such a feature to be added. Especially, in the Netherlands, it is very popular to work 36 hours.

Cheers,
Hristo

Your reply