Holiday Entitlements in Personio

• 1 December 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Dear Community,

Our goal is to simplify your HR processes. In order to do so we would like to learn more about your company’s holiday accrual policies.

Within Personio, we have the ability to capture your employee’s working schedules, along with their absence entitlements. By doing so, you can eliminate the admin stress of adding the pro-rata calculation and balance adjustments on your employee’s profiles and have this completely automated in your account!

We’d love to hear from you on your experience with the Absence and Attendance areas of Personio. Is there anything that you do differently, depending on your country laws or company policies, whereby a workaround is needed to capture your settings correctly?

I’m looking forward to hearing your methods!

Kind regards from Dublin,

Daniele :evergreen_tree:

6 replies

Hi Laura! I am trying to figure out why the entitlement for 2022 is not showing for any of the people in our team. We set the accrual policy to be granted every year. However, it shows as 0 days. Do I need to create a new “accrual policy” at the end of each year? I am a bit confused as I’ve set it to automatic, and it seems like a bit of a hassle to do it again for every person. Would you be able to guide me on this and what I need to do differently?

Many thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @nasimf ,

Thank you for reaching out with this question!

Once an accrual policy is assigned, it will automatically adjust the balance as of the beginning of each year, with the setting you have in place. I will send you a quick direct mail to see what’s going on in your account and respond on this public thread for other community members to see, once I take a look at your account to see what’s going on :)

Thank you and kind regards,

Laura :sunflower:

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @nasimf,

Thank you for your quick response via DM!

For the awareness of our other Community members, this balance appeared as there was an accrual balance import carried out, with the adjustment date set to 02/01/2022. Personio, in this case, would overwrite the annual policy amount, to the accrual balance imported.

Accrual Balance Imports can be used at any time, but more often for companies who have a limited carryover days policy, eg. an employee can carry a max of 5 days into the next year.

In this scenario, you can complete an accrual balance import and set the adjustment date to 31/12 of the previous year, eg. 31/12/2021. This ensures that Personio won’t overwrite the new year’s annual entitlement. 

Please find a full guide on how to quickly set this up via our Help Centre article; Can I Retrospectively Change the Carryover Limit for Vacation Days?

Thank you for sharing this Nasim! If you have any further questions on it, just let us know.

Kind regards,

Hi @Lauraglendon ,

We have two different offices, in Amsterdam & Singapore. In both countries, different leave policies apply. For example, in Singapore some team members are entitled to Child Leave. How can I assign this type of leave to only those who are entitled to it? 

Many thanks, Gabriëlla 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @Gabriella Kanhai,

Thanks for reaching out, this is a great question! Here’s how to do this based on the following scenarios:

1. Absence Types without Accrual Policies
    • Once the absence type is created in Settings > Absences, you want to ensure that it is only the entitled staff (in your example, Singapore employees) are the only employees that can view/request Child Leave, along with perhaps their managers.
    • To set this up go to Settings > Employee Roles > All Employees > Access Rights. Under Absences, ensure that no box is ticked for Child Leave.
    • Then, we can create a new role for Singapore employees only and add them as members to this role in the Members section. 
    • In this role, go to Access Rights > Absences > Child Leave and tick at least View > Own here, or if the employees are allowed request this type of leave then you can select Propose > Own.
    • If their line manager needs access to be able to approve this type of time off, please remember to give them at least View > My Reports access here too.
    • Lastly, go to Settings > Approvals, and ensure that the approval process is set up for this type of leave.
  2. Absence Types with Accrual Policies
    • If an absence type has an accrual policy created for it (most commonly used for Holidays/Vacation holiday types whereby there’s a set amount of days granted to the employee per entitlement period) then it is only those employees who are assigned to the policy that will be able to avail of it.
    • If this is the case, you can assign the accrual policy to the entitled employees via the Employee tab > Highlight employee rows > Actions > Assign accrual policy
    • Once assigned, go to Settings > Employee Roles > All Employees > Access Rights. Here you can open up the Absences area where you can grant ‘View > Own or Propose > Own access to all employees. If their line manager needs access to be able to approve this type of time off, please remember to give them at least View > My Reports access here too.
    • Lastly, go to Settings > Approvals, and ensure that the approval process is set up for this type of leave.

I would highly recommend checking out our quick webinar video which can be found in the Support Hub, over this vimeo link.

I hope this is helpful, but please let me know if you have any questions. 

Enjoy the weekend and Kind regards,

Hi @Lauraglendon, thanks for walking my through this! It was super helpful and I managed to set it up. 

Your reply