Answered

Holiday request for teamleads

Userlevel 1

I would like to scratch the holiday request process for teamleads as the coordination of team capacities is the main reason for having a request process in the first place and this is not particularly relevant for the role of the teamlead itself. Hence, we’d like to change the holiday request in such a way that the group of teamleads does not need an approval process for the absence, but that this only triggers a notification to a superior.

The latter part from my point of view can easily be solved in the workflow hub (I guess), but I’m not sure about the first part (excempting leads from the regular request process).

Maybe the solution is way to obvious, but I haven’t come across it yet.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Andrea 10 August 2022, 16:32

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Michael Brundig 👋🏼,

Welcome to the community! We are thrilled to see you here 🤩, and I am happy to support you with your question.

In order to give you the best solution possible, I would like to clarify the following:

• Are the persons that should approve the holidays (superiors) set as the Supervisors of the people they should approve the holidays from?
  • Do the superiors have an own role?
  • As “superior” do you mean the supervisor of the teamleads?
  • Does this approval process apply for all the company?

This information will help me out to know what would be the ideal set up for your approvals 😊.

Thank you very much in advance for your answer!

Best,

Andrea

Userlevel 1

Hi @Andrea ,

thanks a lot for your reply! Answering your questions below:

• Yes, the current regular teammember approval process includes regular supervisors which are assigned as such to their team members, that’s all good. The alternative process I’d like to establish that all those supervisors are excemt from this process when they are requesting holidays themselves
  • No, not yet, but I could create such a group/role
  • Both teamleads and the supervisors of those teamleads, hence every role that has management responsibilities over a team
  • Yes, I would like to have a unified process for the entire company

Thanks a lot for your help!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Michael Brundig,

Thank you very much for your quick answer ⚡️.

So, if I understand correctly, your teamleads should not have to request absences, and their absence periods should be approved automatically. 

If this is the case, you can create an Employee Role for teamleads and grant this Role Edit rights for holidays. This way they will be excluded from the approval process for holidays. 

Please be aware that without being involved in an approval process, employees can delete past absences periods as well without anyone being notified about this. 

Please let me know if my answer is helpful! Otherwise, I am happy to support you further,

I wish you a lovely afternoon.

Best,

Andrea 🥳

Userlevel 1

Alright, that sounds brilliant and would solve the most difficult part of my problem. I assume, that creating a notification for their respective line manager (instead of the original approval request) should be possible via the workflow hob, correct?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Michael Brundig,

You can set up a Reminder for Next Absence for example that can be triggered for a certain role. That will notify the line managers about every upcoming absence:

Would that setup be helpful? 

Best,

Andrea

Userlevel 1

I guess that could work! Is it possible to trigger this notification as early as the actual “non-request” of the teamlead, hence. As soon as the teamlead schedules their holiday a notification is triggered in the dashboard of the respective supervisor?

In the end for the supervisor of the teamlead there shouldn’t be a big change to the status quo → Checkboxing the notification instead of hitting the approval button, however, for all leads this would be a significant cultural change that highlights and respects their autonomy to plan their time.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Michael Brundig 👋🏼,

I hope you had a great weekend! 

The Reminder for Next Absence cannot be linked to the absence request process at the moment. It is linked to the first day of the absence periods. Nevertheless, you can set the Reminder, for example for 6 months before the absence period, so that it’s guaranteed, that the Teamleads receive it as soon as it is requested. 

Would this configuration help you?

Greetings from Munich,

Andrea

Userlevel 1

Hi @Andrea, I see… so in this case the reminder is (in most cases) directly overdue once the request is issued and automatically triggered. That should work, thanks! I’ll try it out in our config.

Best,

Michael

Hi, 

This chat has been really helpful as we have certain employees who should be able to self-approve their holidays. (if not all to be honest)

The concern is the fact they can go back in time and delete any holidays taken. 

Is there a way around this? 

eg. notification to supervisor/admin if holiday was deleted? 

Thanks

Sara

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @Sara Gerard,

Great that you found already an existing chat helpful.
Just to make sure you do have the same setup as Michael. You also want certain employees to be able to plan their holidays without approval?

For employees and in most common cases the setting is, that the employees do get only propose rights and an approval process is being setup. Then they can not delete vacation without anyone noticing and confirming. :) 

If you set it up like Michael, nobody notices on the first sight and super, obviously. But you could track it in the company Export. :) 

Hope that helps.

Best, 
Lena

Your reply