Answered

Issue with Travel Time Calculation in Personio

• 6 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello,

We are facing an issue with travel time calculation in Personio, and we would greatly appreciate your insights and suggestions:

Currently, our sales team frequently travels, and we calculate travel time as paid work time until 7.5 hours, which aligns with our normal workday duration. However, due to flexible working hours, employees may work more than 7.5 hours, and any additional hours are added to their balance. The problem arises when an employee spends, for instance, 5 hours traveling and only works 4 hours on a particular day. In such cases, Personio marks the total duration as 9 hours, considering it as the length of the normal workday (7.5 hours) plus the additional travel time. However, we would like the travel day to be capped at 7.5 hours if the person has worked less or the same amount of time. Essentially, we don't want travel time to be counted as extra hours, but we also don't want it to reduce the total duration.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation or found a solution to accurately handle these scenarios in Personio? We would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations you can provide.

Thank you in advance for your help and insights!

Best regards,

icon

Best answer by International Support Team 7 July 2023, 15:34

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5

Hi @janettm

Welcome to the Personio Community, we are thrilled to see you here :confetti_ball: :partying_face:.
I am happy to support you with your inquiry.

What you need for your Sales team is not possible in Personio. As a workaround I would suggest to disable the option to Track overtime hours and create different Projects as per you needs, for example, Travel time and Working time, so when they track their time, they can select the different Projects. In this way the overtime hours won’t be track but you can see whether the time was distributed. 

In order to disable the option to Track overtime hours, you can navigate to Settings > Work Hours and Absences > Attendance and edit the configuration in order to disable it. For more information about this topic, you can visit our Helpcenter article: Configure work schedules

In regards the Projects, you can go to Settings > Work Hours and Absences > Attendance > Projects, and you can follow the instructions here.

If you think we can improve in any way, I would like to encourage you to post this suggestion of improvement in our ideation area. This way, other users will be able to vote for it, and the suggestion will be shared with our product team. In order for us to fully understand your idea, I share with you a couple of questions that your description should clarify when posting in the ideation area:

• What would you like to achieve with Personio? What issue do you need to solve?

• Why? What would be the added value for you?

• How are you solving it right now?

The more details, the better! 😃

Make sure to add the link to the idea in this thread, so that other users that find your question can upvote it. Thank you in advance for sharing your ideas with us 🙌🏽.

I wish you a great weekend ahead! 🙌🏼

Best,

Zulema

Badge

Hello!

I’ll get back to this as we haven’t been able to find workaround. ( I will add idea for ideation area but still trying to find out some workaround).

We were very happy thinking we have the solution for travel time with hourly absence BUT it only calculates hours for one absence per day. Why? Will there be some update for this?? In absence report and calender it only shows the hours for second absence and the first “travel time” is 0 hours, also report shows this incorrectly.  In attendance tap I can see hours and time correctly though...

To sum up the current problem: We don’t have a solution for travel time in Personio in case that employee travels e.g. 2 hours in the morning, works 6 hours and travels 2 hours again in the end of the day. In our system the correct calculation for salary is 7,5 hours so although real working hours are less the travel time is calculated for salary up to full day. ( in the time tracking solution Nepton which we are using now, the employee marks real working hours and real travel hours but salary is automatically calculated for 7,5 hours when traveling hours exceed the normal 7,5 workday. If employee works in the office the normal hours e.g. 9,5 hours she/he will get +2 balance hours . This is not possible in Personio as it is not possible to separate tracked hours for travel time (not cumulating balance) and normal working hours which are cumulating employee’s balance. Now I’m testing Personio time tracking only for me and Overtime / deficit hours work fine for us as we are using “worktime bank” but I can’t find good solution to combinate this with traveling time. We can’t disable the function for tracking overtime as our sales team is using worktime bank (daily balance)

Of course one solution would be that employee just marks working hours 7,5 hours and part of that as a project “travel time” and rest of the travel time as an absence BUT this will be complicated for the employee and the report is having part of the travel time as an absence and part as project.

Thank you!

Badge

If I can manage other issues with absence type “travel” using hourly absence (remote work type) is there coming feature that hourly absences can be tracked from monday to sunday as employees are travelling during all day and not travel time in hours can be tracked only during working schedule incl. public holidays.

I really hope that some easier feature for travel time is coming soon, or minimum the possibility to track travel time Saturday, Sunday and night time also (in hours).

Your reply