Answered

Time-off

• 25 December 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We created a “time-off” absence type that team members are asked to use when they use up overtime, so that it is clear that they are off. But there is some uncertainty if it works as expected.

So I just wanted to confirm that this configuration should lead to people using their overtime if they only book the below event without booking working hours during the given period.

icon

Best answer by International Support Team 5 January 2024, 19:16

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 5

Hey @lsmith 

As mentioned in our article on Consider time tracked during absences as overtime, if the absence is time off then this setting needs to be enabled. I can see from your screenshot that this is disabled at the moment, so please change this. 

You will then convert your employee’s overtime from their balance to compensatory time by following the guidance below:

This will now add the overtime to the absence balance for the employee to now be able to use. If you have any follow up questions, please let me know.

Best regards, 

Conor

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I still don’t get it. The explanation is very confusing here. The time people out on “time-off” should be deducted from their over-time, not added, ie. I do not want “Crediting hours worked during an absence as overtime”.

To make it concrete.

I have an employee with 20h of overtime.

They use the custom “time-off” absence type for 2 days of 8h each. I then want their over-time to be 4h after those two days.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@International Support Team can you please clarify?

Userlevel 5

Hi @lsmith,

This is possible, but first you will have to convert the overtime hours from the Work schedule to the relevant Absence type, in this case the Absence type: Time off.

Please follow the next steps:

Step 1: Make an Accrual policy of 0 hours for the Absence type: “Time off”.

Step 2: Assign this Accrual policy in the profile of the employee for the Absence type “Time off”.

Step 3: In the Work schedule in case there is overtime you will have to convert this Overtime to Convert overtime to comp time, there you can select the Absence type “Time off”.

Here you can select the relevant Absence type, in your case “Time off”:

After this the converted hours will show up in the relevant Absence type, then if the employee for example had 4 hours of overtime that was converted to the Absence type “Time off” and the employee takes 3 hours of Absence this will be deducted from those 4 hours and will have 1 hour left.

Here you will find more information regarding: Convert overtime to compensatory time off.

Best,

Sofia 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Wow, is there a legal reason for this complexity?

This might be necessary for organizations that keep tight control over such things. We just wanted our employees when they use up overtime to communicate this to the team in the same way they communicate time off on vacation. But if this is what it takes to do this, I think we will just stop this process and simply have them drop a note on slack.

So all the time they booked until now was then incorrectly considered to be work hours? We will then delete all those bookings to get a sense of the actual overtime they have collected.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@International Support Team how can I now clean up the historical data? I went and started deleting time-off entries in 2022, but it does not seem to affect the overtime numbers, which I would expect to go down now.

Userlevel 5

Hi @lsmith,

If you have Overtime hours in the Attendance tab and you would like to delete it you can do this by going to Attendance > 3 dots on the right corner > Overtime balances > Delete the relevant overtime.

​​​​​​

In this article you will find more information regarding: Manage overtime.

Best,

Sofia 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I don’t think this will help me. I need to remove the specific hours booked on “time off” not the overtime. The overtime will be a mix of actual hours worked and hours booked on “time off”.

I guess the only viable path forward is to add up all the “time off” hours and then manually adjust the total overtime accordingly.

Userlevel 5

Hi @lsmith,

If you would like to delete Absence periods that were entered for the Absence type “ Time off”, you will have to delete or edit them from the profile of the employee.

Best,

Sofia 

Your reply