Answered

working time and time account (Overtime Management)

• 23 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Dear all,

how does the working time account in Personio function and how can we correctly mirror our contractual agreements/obligations.

We have a base working time between 10 and 16h daily.

We have a clause in the contracts stating that 4h (and in some 2h) overtime /week are covered via the working contract and hence are not compensated.

In Personio I understand that employees are accumulating the monthly worked hours vs. hours to be worked and an overall account of minus or plus hours. 

Questions:

1. The overall minus and plus hours: Are they endless over the entire time an employee has worked with the company or are they at one point nullified?
  2. How can we deduct the 4h/2h weekly overtime that is agreed in the contracts from the overeall available positive time account. I.e if an employee works 42h per week the overall plus hours do not go up. But if he works 48h they go up by 4h (or six if he has 2h additional time in his contract).
  3. We need to make sure that employees take official time off from their accumulated extra time with an leave request so that the manager understands that someone is not available at a certain time. We do not want to allow people to just decide to not work for a specific amount of hours on day X just because their overall time balance is positive. Is their a leave scheme in Personio that can be utilized and instead of having a ratio against that it only allows people to take “hours” off from their positive overall balance? 

Thanks

Marc

icon

Best answer by International Support Team 24 May 2023, 18:35

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5

Hi @bruchm 

I will split your queries up below:

The overall minus and plus hours: Are they endless over the entire time an employee has worked with the company or are they at one point nullified?

The overtime is endless and is tracked per month with an overall balance visible. You can either payout these balances in either entitlement days or monetary compensation. Additionally you can do manual adjustments to reduce or increase the balance as needed. You can view this from within the Employee profile Attendance tab.

Please see this article below for some more information:

👉🏼 Manage Overtime

How can we deduct the 4h/2h weekly overtime that is agreed in the contracts from the overeall available positive time account. I.e if an employee works 42h per week the overall plus hours do not go up. But if he works 48h they go up by 4h (or six if he has 2h additional time in his contract).

Yes, for each working hour schedule, it is also possible to enter a contractually agreed number of compensated overtime hours. This is possible to set up an overtime cliff as seen below from within Settings > Attendance:

Please see this article below for some more information:

👉🏼 Set up overtime

We need to make sure that employees take official time off from their accumulated extra time with an leave request so that the manager understands that someone is not available at a certain time. We do not want to allow people to just decide to not work for a specific amount of hours on day X just because their overall time balance is positive. Is their a leave scheme in Personio that can be utilized and instead of having a ratio against that it only allows people to take “hours” off from their positive overall balance? 

This can be possible to monitor and manage using the ability to convert overtime into an entitlement of your choice. Once this is done then the employees can request it once given the relevant ‘Propose’ Access rights for the specified Absence type. If you want to manager their usage of this Absence type then you can set up a relevant Approval process. Please see this article below for some more information:

👉🏼Manage Overtime

I hope this helps and if you have any further queries on this topic please let me know! 

All the best, 

Erica

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Great thanks for the explanation

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Dear Erica,

if I set the overtime cliff to 4h and the person has a 40h week that means the totoal balance shown below will only start to build up if the person has worked more then 44h in that week, is that right?

Regards

Marc

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hello Erica,

sorry another question:

I understand now that we can set the overtime cliff.

But can you also set a limit how long overtime can be taken.

Ie. our contracts state that overtime must be used within 3 months.

Meaning the overall balance that is accumulated and not used up should be rolling on a three months intervall for example.

Meaning overtime from 4 months ago that has not been used or converted should be nullified automatically.

Is that possible?

Thanks and regards

Marc

Userlevel 5

Hi @bruchm 

Yes, exactly if you set the Overtime cliff to four hours then after they have worked the 44 hours (40 hours standard) overtime will begin to be tracked on their account. I am afraid at the moment it is not possible to set an automatic expiry on overtime and this will need to be manually reduced if you notice any users having overtime beyond the set time period. You could potentially use our Custom reports functionality to help report on this, please see these articles below:

👉🏼 Manage Overtime

👉🏼 Create custom reports

However, this would be a great feature insight for our product team! I would like to encourage you to post this suggestion of improvement in our ideation area where our product team are able to review ideas for new functionality. They can then potentially include them in future updates to the softwares functionality. 

In order for us to fully understand your idea, I have included a couple of questions that your description should clarify when posting in the ideation area: 

• What would you like to achieve with Personio?  What issue do you need to solve?
  • Why? What would be the added value for you? 
  • How are you solving it right now? 

The more details, the better! However, remember not to share any personal or business data with the public.

Make sure to add the link to the idea in this thread, so that other users that find your question can upvote it showing the demand for this functionality! 

Thank you in advance for sharing your ideas with us and I hope you have a lovely day 🙌🏽

All the best, 

Erica

Your reply