Answered

For document templates, where is the employee's National Insurance Number placeholder?

• 12 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
  • Busy Bee
  • 19 replies

Hi,

I am attempting to create a document template but unfortunately cannot access all the placeholders I require. I note that the list of predefined system placeholders listed here:

https://support.personio.de/hc/en-us/articles/115002763969-Create-Document-Templates-Placeholders

Is a subset of what is listed in the an employee’s “Personal info” section.

I need to use the National Insurance Number employee attribute under “Payroll information” in “Personal info”. There will probably be other such unlisted placeholders at the above link that also appear to be system placeholders and appear unavailable for me to access. Is this possible for me to use these in a document template such that Personio automatically fills them out and if so, what am I missing? When I try to guess and use {{national_insurance_number}} it turns into free text meaning I have to go to Personio to copy the number and paste it which undermines the point of using predefined system placeholders.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

JMD

icon

Best answer by ConorCunningham 14 April 2023, 11:50

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey @jmd 

As you have already created the attribute for National Insurance Number, this will be what is known as a custom placeholder. In this case you just need to enter the name of the attribute exactly spelled out as it is shown within Personio. For your example it will be {{National Insurance Number}}. Please ensure that no underlines are put in and the capitalisation of letters exactly matches. Once this has been entered as mentioned, it should be able to pull the data from the employee profile. 

Please let me know if you are running into any further difficulties.

Happy Friday ☘️

Best,

Conor

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi Conor,

Thanks a bunch for this - it worked a treat.

I am, however, confused by your answer nonetheless.

The “National Insurance Number” employee attribute is not one I created myself. It came as a standard field when I configured Personio for our company recently. While your solution absolutely works, “National Insurance Number” is not a Custom Placeholder - I did not create it, Personio did.

Either there are two types of Pre-defined System Placeholders with “National Insurance Number” being the latter type that is not mentioned in the doc or there is something fundamental which I am misunderstanding about Custom Placeholders.

Happy Friday afternoon!

Kind regards,
JD

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey @jmd 

Ah sorry about the confusion, let me explain this a little bit more in detail.

When you receive your Personio account, you will have pre-set attributes and some custom attributes already placed within. You can tell the difference between each by going to Settings > Employee Information and looking for the ‘Preset attribute’ tag.

For attributes that are not pre-set then they will not have this tag present beside the attribute as shown:

The non pre-set attributes are given to customers, however if they are not used by them they have the option to delete them. However for pre-set attributes, there is no possibility to edit them or delete them. 

So in your case, this is actually a custom attribute, however it was not created by you but instead was already placed within the account. I hope this clears up any confusion, but happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Have a great weekend ☘️

Best,

Conor

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thank you very much for going to the trouble to explain that so well. Much obliged - I appreciate it! I think the Personio documentation could be updated to better explain.

Kind regards,

JMD

Your reply