Answered

Repeat blocks of fields in employee data

• 27 September 2022
  • 3 replies

I basically have a usecase where each employee can have multiple certifications which expire at different dates.

How can this be represented in the employee data? Example of what I would want to do

- Certification [Multi select]
    - Completed [Date]
    - Expires [Date]
- Certification [Multi select]
    - Completed [Date]
    - Expires [Date]

The problem is, that each of these would all need to be different fields in the employee data. Statically repeating the block over and over in employee data is pretty messy and is confusing for employees.

Is there a different feature I can use for this purpose? The biggest issue is, that I need to retrieve the data through the API.

icon

Best answer by Andrea 29 September 2022, 16:30

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Dear @MarcelMue,

Welcome to the Personio Community, we are thrilled to see you here 🎊 🥳. 

On the moment, the way other users are managing the information for certifications is also by adding different attributes in the employee information. To make this data a bit more clear for your employees, you can add a new section in which you save the attributes. In the following help center article, you will find the instructions for this configuration: Create Custom Sections and Attributes.

Regarding the API: Why is it an issue to save the information like you showed above? If you share more details with me, I can think if there is a way to solve this.

Thank you in advance for your answer!

Best,

Andrea

P.S. In case you haven’t done so yet: it would be lovely if you could take two minutes to say Hi and introduce yourself here: it’s a great way to get started in the Community & meet other HR Professionals!

On the moment, the way other users are managing the information for certifications is also by adding different attributes in the employee information. To make this data a bit more clear for your employees, you can add a new section in which you save the attributes.

We have done this but the problem is basically the amount of certificates. If a person can hold 8+ certifications, then this would mean that I have to create 8 sections. Each of them with exactly the same fields and just a slightly different section rate. In our experience this becomes messy and not user friendly quickly.

It would therefor be perfect to have just one section called “Certifications” where I can have a list of certifications. This is what I described above in the initial post but seems not possible in Personio.

Regarding the API: Why is it an issue to save the information like you showed above? If you share more details with me, I can think if there is a way to solve this.

The problem here is similar: Each section would be a different path in the API call. It becomes hard to list all certifications a person has. Essentially whatever uses the API to list the certificates of a person, would need to know exactly how many and which certificates can exist - compared to simply listing it if they were in just one section.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Dear @MarcelMue,

Thank you very much for all the details you shared! I can totally understand why this is a pain point for you. Unfortunately, on the moment, we only have the option of saving this information in the Employee information section. I would really like to encourage you to share a suggestion of improvement with us in our ideation area, so that other users have the possibility to vote for it. Further, the idea will be shared with our product team.

You have already explained very well why this is an issue and how you would solve it, so you would only need to copy - paste the information in your post.

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback, we really appreciate it!

Please let me know if there is anything else I can support you with.

I wish you a great afternoon!

Best,

Andrea

Your reply