Answered

Dual reporting lines - holiday request

• 13 June 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +1
  • Explorer
  • 10 replies

Hi

We have several employees that need to send their absence requests to 2 managers (as they have dual reporting lines). What are the options as it does not seem obvious? 

I have added a rule whereby it goes to one, then the next. However I want it to go to both at the same time. 

thanks 

icon

Best answer by International Support Team 5 July 2023, 16:39

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5

Hey @LKA 

So what you would do here is create an employee role and add these two employees as members. You would then navigate to Settings > Approvals > Select the absence type and then set it up so that this employee role will approve the absence. This now means either of these two employees can fully approve the absence, instead of the previous two step process. 

If you run into any difficulties with this setup, please let me know.

Best,

Conor

Badge +1

Hi

Can you please be more specific? I have added a group - is it the two approvers that go in there?

For the approval process, can you please be more specific on the instructions here?

Thanks. 

Badge +1

Further for clarification, different employees need to go into to different managers. 

E.g. I set up a group for finance managers (to have their leave approved by two people). However, I then need a different finance manager to go into two different people. I then need almost all of the Germany office to go into two different people. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

@LKA - I think the proposed solution by @International Support Team might not resolve your issue.

From reading what you have described it appears that first there should be a review of the business process / decision to have such a complex approach.

(I’m speaking from HR - I’m not a Personio employee).

To resolve your requirement I think you might have to setup exceptions for nearly every single individual… which is simply going to be in-operable long-term to manage.

You could perhaps create a group made up of more managers that collectively covers all scenarios…

However, not that it is anyone in the group (singular) that can grant approval rather than needing two different people to approve (in any order).

Badge +1

Hi

Can anyone help here please? It is very common in organisations for people to have more than one reporting line. Creating a role for every employee is not helpful - surely there is a simple explanation for this? Please can you get back to me as soon as possible? 

Hi, I am also speaking from an HR perspective and we are facing the same issues. Unfortunately, we  also haven't found a better way except adding very very many roles and exceptions (which becomes really unmanageable over time) or solving the issue outside Personio via email. So, dear Personio team, we would appreciate an improved solution and more options in this matter as well :)

Userlevel 5

Hey @LKA 

Thank you for your reply 😀

At the moment we only have two ways to set this up:

1. You can create an approval process which is a two step process. When the first approver puts through the request, it will move onto the next approver and once they put through the request it is fully approved.
  2. You can set up an employee role with multiple employees within this. This will allow you to set the approval process to be approved by this employee role. This means that any employee who is a member of this employee role will be able to fully approve this request in one approval step.

For your case, if there are multiple scenarios with different sets of 2 approvers, then I am afraid it will involve multiple employee roles. In your example for the Finance Manager you need to create a ruleset to filter for this employee such as Email equals ___ or ID equals ____. For the German office, you could create a ruleset of Office equals ____. To help you with setting up these rulesets, here is our guide on Configuring Rulesets for Approval Workflows.

Once the rules are set up, click on this button to select it and this will allow you to then nominate the employee role to approve this request:

Let me know if you run into difficulties with this and I will guide further.

Best,

Conor

Your reply