Answered

Is it possible to have two supervisors for the same employee?

• 9 December 2022
  • 9 replies

There are times when employees require two supervisors, one for discipline and one for project, is this possible?

[Translated from Spanish by the Moderator. Original Spanish Below:]

¿Es posible tener dos supervisores para un mismo empleado?

Hay veces que los empleados requieren tener dos supervisores, uno por disciplina y otro por proyecto, ¿Es esto posible?

icon

Best answer by mruscito 21 December 2022, 14:58

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

[El texto traducido en Español está abajo] ⬇

Hi @CarolinaBarrabes 

Your question is super interesting!

The Supervisor attribute cannot be customized, because it deals with a base functionality that is directly linked to other functions in the platform. For example, the relationship between supervisor and subordinate is visually illustrated in the Org Chart ⬇.

In addition, the supervisor may benefit from privileged access permissions in their role⬇.

But, what you could do is to create a new attribute to name a project supervisor. That new attribute would be purely informative, so the person would not appear as a hierarchical supervisor in the Organization Chart, nor would the access permissions My Subordinates apply to him/her. 

I invite you to take a look at the article: Create custom sections and attributes, it explains very well how to create a custom attribute.

Best regards! 

Megan

[Translated from Spanish by the Moderator. Click below to read the Original Spanish:]

Hola @CarolinaBarrabes 

¡Su pregunta es super interesante!

El atributo de Supervisor no puede ser personalizado, porque trata de una funcionalidad de base que es directamente vinculada con otras funciones en la plataforma. Por ejemplo, la relación entre supervisor y subordinado es ilustrada visualmente en el Organigrama. ⬇

Además, sólo el supervisor puede beneficiar del permisos de acceso Mis subordinados.⬇

Pero, lo que podría hacer es crear un nuevo atributo para nombrar a un supervisor de proyecto. Aquello nuevo atributo sería puramente informativo, por eso la persona no aparecería como supervisor jerárquico en el Organigrama, ni se le aplicarían los permisos de acceso Mis subordinados

Le invito a echar un vistazo a este artículo, explica muy bien cómo crear un atributo personalizado.

¡Saludos! 

Megan

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @CarolinaBarrabes,

Why do you need this? Is it related to absence approvals, access to specific pieces of information, or something else? It's highly likely that you can achieve needed affects using some workarounds depending on your original need. Please share more info, and someone might be able to help you out.

Best,

Vida

Badge

Why can’t we have more than one supervisor or manager on the company structure diagram that feeds down to reviews etc? We want both a supervisor and director or two directors to be able to do manager reviews?

Badge

..and it also means that our company structure diagram looks completely wrong because at present all staff are under one company Director rather than both!

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi @salvesengraham !

You bring up some very good points! I suggest that you consult & upvote this idea on multiple supervisors posted by @Edda van der Ende. The more votes this feature idea gets, the more our Product Team will understand that this is an important feature to have for many of our users.

As for the manager review, as a workaround you can create a review cycle with a manager review and a peer review. The manager review will be automatically assigned to the person in the Supervisor role, and then you can choose the second manager as the person who completes the peer review.

What do you think? Could this work for you?

Take care,

Megan

Badge

Thanks. The only issue with the peer review (which I have done as a temp fix), is that it goes to the employee under ‘Peer Review’ which is not really what it is!

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi @salvesengraham !

You are correct : it does not solve that problem, as you can’t change the name of the review type. It’s just that you cannot customize the manager review to assign it to a different person, so at least with the peer review you can still include the second manager in the review cycle and capture their feedback.

Do let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

Megan

Badge

Yes you can do that but the fact that it is still called a peer review is problematic and unprofessional 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi @salvesengraham ! 

I completely understand your point of view.

One last workaround that I could think of to solve this issue is the following:

1. Create a review cycle with Manager Review only
  2. Once 1st supervisor completes their feedback for employee, go into employee’s profile and update the Supervisor attribute to the 2nd supervisor.
    1. This will trigger a Manager Review request for the 2nd supervisor, so long as the review cycle is still open.
    2. This action will not delete the first supervisor’s feedback, if they officially submitted it. If it was kept in draft, then it will disappear.
  3. Once the cycle is closed, you can change the supervisor back.

This is a manual workaround and perhaps not very scalable, but it could temporarily solve this issue for you.

Do let me know if you have further questions or concerns! The more feedback we gather from our users, the better. 🚀

Megan

Your reply