Answered

Restrict Personio API Access to Department

• 7 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello community!

Currently I am managing a team of 11 developers in a company which employs 64 people.

My company recently migrated our time tracking software from TimeTac to Personio.

I am keen to automate time reporting using the Personio API as part our internal KPI reporting.

However, my company has informed me that the Personio API is not able to restrict usage of the API to a specific department. This means, if I as development team lead were to gain access to the API, I would have access to everyones personal data in the entire company.

Is this really the case? Or, to phrase another way,

Is it possible that I as a department lead, am able to use the Personio API to access data and generate reports ONLY for the members of my department?

Thank you very much!

icon

Best answer by International Support Team 8 June 2023, 16:41

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5

Hi @TearsOfTheSun

Welcome to the Personio Community, we are thrilled to see you here 🎉. I am happy to support you with your inquiry.

I am afraid it is not possible to filter the user or API credential access to only specific Departments so if you provide access to the API credentials section in Personio they can query any information they would like. You can restrict access to this section and then just give the relevant employees the relevant API credentials and monitor the information applicable for these credentials from Settings > API credentials. Please see this article below for some more information:

👉🏽 Generate and manage API credentials

I would like to encourage you to post this suggestion of improvement in our ideation area where our product team are able to review ideas for new functionality. They can then potentially include them in future updates to the softwares functionality. 

In order for us to fully understand your idea, I have included a couple of questions that your description should clarify when posting in the ideation area: 

• What would you like to achieve with Personio?  What issue do you need to solve?
  • Why? What would be the added value for you? 
  • How are you solving it right now? 

The more details, the better! However, remember not to share any personal or business data with the public.

Make sure to add the link to the idea in this thread, so that other users that find your question can upvote it showing the demand for this functionality! 

Thank you in advance for sharing your ideas with us and I hope you have a lovely rest of your day! 

All the best, 

Erica

Hello Erica,

Thank you very much for your response. I have tried to access the ideation area but my access was blocked. As I am a customer of Personio (well, my company uses it so I am indirectly a customer), it would be great to post my idea there.

Thanks!

Userlevel 5

Hi @TearsOfTheSun 

No problem at all! It can take a little bit of time to be granted access to post on our Ideation section but I had your account checked and you should be able to access this now 😊

Any issues let me know! 

All the best, 

Erica

Your reply