Answered

How do I prorate leave entitlements at the end of a contract by day not by month?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

When I set up an accrual policy, I can only choose to prorate by months or not to prorate at all at the end of a contract. At the start of the contract I can choose to prorate by months or days or not to prorate at all.  

How do I prorate by days at the end of a contract? Why isn’t that an option when I set up the accrual policy?

Also, it is set up so it doesn’t round up or down. So I have a colleague leaving on 28 April. He gets his prorated days for Jan- March but nothing for April. How do I tell the system to either round to the nearest month or grant the whole entitlement if part of the month is used? 

I know I can manually adjust the employee’s leave balance but I don’t want a manual adjustment to do. 

icon

Best answer by ConorCunningham 11 April 2023, 12:30

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey @AliceM,

When I set up an accrual policy, I can only choose to prorate by months or not to prorate at all at the end of a contract. At the start of the contract I can choose to prorate by months or days or not to prorate at all.  

How do I prorate by days at the end of a contract? Why isn’t that an option when I set up the accrual policy?

The options highlighted within the start of employment and end of employment for daily absences are all we can support at the moment. However, we do have the option for daily proration at the end of employment for hourly absences

What I can tell you is that we are working on a new absence engine to be released at some point this year and we hope that with it, we can bring in new options for our customers to choose from. 

Also, it is set up so it doesn’t round up or down. So I have a colleague leaving on 28 April. He gets his prorated days for Jan- March but nothing for April. How do I tell the system to either round to the nearest month or grant the whole entitlement if part of the month is used? 

I know I can manually adjust the employee’s leave balance but I don’t want a manual adjustment to do.

This is normal behaviour based on the monthly proration option. It bases the entitlement on the full month worked, so unfortunately if the employee for example worked until the 18th of April, they technically did not work the full month and therefore will not receive the entitlement. As you mentioned, it will be a manual adjustment to fix the incorrect balance.

I would kindly ask for you to submit this feedback for both issues into our Ideation Area to highlight these to the Product Team.

If you have any other questions, I will be happy to answer them 😀

Have a nice day ☘️

Best,

Conor

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @ConorCunningham 

Many thanks for coming back to me so fast. I have been debating moving to hourly tracking due to problems with balances for part time staff so it sounds like I need to bite that bullet and just do it. 

Great to know that there’s improvements coming down the line later this year. I’ll add these points to the ideation section. 

Can you advise me about the shift to hourly? 

Once I create the new policy and assign people to that, what happens to their balances and their existing requests in the system? Do I have to download them from the current leave type and then upload them into the new leave type, same as I did when we rolled out Personio? What will happen to pending requests? 

How do I unassign people after I have created the new policy? I don’t want people to have two options visible. 

Then in the new policy, will it show people the number of days or hours they have? ie. will the person see that they have 19 days left or 142.5 hours left? 

Or am I best to request a callback?! I’m nervous that I’m going to cause problems trying to do this midyear. 

Thanks

Alice

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey @AliceM 

I hope you had a nice long weekend 😀

Once I create the new policy and assign people to that, what happens to their balances and their existing requests in the system? Do I have to download them from the current leave type and then upload them into the new leave type, same as I did when we rolled out Personio?

Yes exactly, you will need to download the existing balances and absence periods from the daily absences using our Custom Reports function and then import them into the new hourly absence type. There might be a little work involved in this process, therefore I would suggest maybe waiting it out until our new absence engine is released during the year and seeing if solutions can be found in this before going through with this process.

What will happen to pending requests? 

I would advise for the pending requests to be put through before making changes. This way you can then export all absence periods from the old absence type (again using Custom Reports) and re-import them into the new absence balance.

How do I unassign people after I have created the new policy? I don’t want people to have two options visible?

Instead of un-assigning the absence type, you would instead take away the access rights for this absence type to the relevant people within employee roles. This way the accrual policy data of the absence is not tampered with, however the employee cannot view or request this absence type going forward.

Then in the new policy, will it show people the number of days or hours they have? ie. will the person see that they have 19 days left or 142.5 hours left? 

Again, a little bit of work would be involved as you would need to convert the days balance into hours before re-importing the old balance into the new absence type. So for example in your excel sheet you would need to work out the hours equivalent of each daily balance. Once re-imported, the balance would show in hours for the employee. 

Or am I best to request a callback?! I’m nervous that I’m going to cause problems trying to do this midyear. 

In my opinion, I would continue to use the daily absences and manually adjust the balances when employees are due extra entitlement based on daily proration at end of contract. I think if you were to switch now it would cause a lot more work for you in comparison. Additionally as mentioned changes in future to our absence engine will be happening and there could be a possibility to change to daily proration at end of employment for daily absences. So it would be a wait and see recommendation from my side 🙂

However, if you were to want to go through with this then I would advise to have the Account Owner for your Personio account send in a support request. 

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Have a great start to your week.

Best,

Conor 

Your reply