Answered

Link date to position change

• 9 November 2021
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi,

At the moment it isn't possible to link a date to a position change. I would love to see this option because it gives the option to link other processes to this change date like the onboardingchecklist.

Next to this it gives direct insight in history of position changes and is a huge add on to strategic workforce planning.

To my opinion this should be a basic element in a HR system. I am curious who agrees with me?

icon

Best answer by Marc 24 November 2021, 11:55

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Dennis Stolze,

if I understand it correctly, what you suggest as an idea is already possible.

When you change a position in Personio you have several possibilities in regard to the linked date.

1. You schedule a position change for a specific date, which is then automatically linked to the change on that date and visible in the employee history (Scheduling Attribute Changes)
  2. You simply make a change to the position on the desired date, today's date will be associated with the change
  3. You want to make changes to an employee's position that have already taken place in the past. Then first make the change in the employee profile and then change the effective date of this change in the detailed employee history by clicking on the pencil icon to link the correct date (The Employee History)

In general, all changes are displayed in the employee history. Here is an example (this is the general view, not the detailed):

If you cannot see the employee history, please talk to your Personio-Admin to check your access rights. 

Please give me feedback if this was what you were looking for, so I can turn this idea into a question. Otherwise, please describe your idea a bit differently.

Best,
Marc

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi Marc,

Thank you, this was what i was looking for.

One additional question about this topic. Is it also possible to make an export that contains position changes in te past from multiple employees?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Dennis Stolze,

perfect, then I’ll move this post to the question area.

Yes, it is possible to create a corresponding report.

You can create a custom report with the historical data type for this purpose. Just add the position attribute and the desired time frame.

For information on how to create a custom report, see this article: Creating Custom Reports

Best,
Marc

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Marc ,

I’d like to add an additional question to this one as the reply didn’t maybe quite answer to our question in our company. When a person moves to another position, it would be great if we could, indeed, put an onboarding process to that person as there might be several parts that need to be done for the employee e.g. when they move from Trainee to permanent staff.

Is this possible?

Edda

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I agree to @Edda van der Ende 

And this is also linked to this idea:

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Edda van der Ende,

sorry for my late reply.

Currently, it is only possible to attach the onboarding process to the hire date, so it would not work if there is a job change as the hire date won’t change.

You can take a look at the idea @Dennis Stolze linked in the last post, thank you, Dennis, for pointing this out.

Best wishes
Marc

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @Dennis Stolze,

if I understand it correctly, what you suggest as an idea is already possible.

Hmm, It doesn’t work in all scenarios. For example, we have an employee who started on 01.07.2021, 

Personio is currently not really meant for any historical data. For example. if you delete a team, the whole history breaks and you cannot track which team was someone in at the time, and there is no hisrtory data available through API. And in my case, also the above solution doesn’t work. For example, I want to tell Personio the employee was in team “Pandia” from 01.07.2021, but it’s simply not possible, because there is already an entry I cannot delete and I cannot move the lower recrod to some previous date becase it doesnÄt let you move the record prior to start date if the emoployee. So it’s really buggy and not very usable. And Personio for some reason has no interest in preoviding the chage data through API. Frustrating.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @ammar ,

if I am right, the blank fields former were filled with the deleted team?
If you want the Pandia team to be assigned to the hire date, you can do so!

First one note, historical data changes cannot be deleted, but reassigned in regard to the date.

To reassign the data change, simply click on the pencil symbol of the first row of your screenshot and enter the date 01.07.2021, the change should then be effective from the hire date.

In general, I cannot recommend deleting any data that was used in the past, like teams and departments.

Did the reassignment of the date work for you?

Best regards
Marc

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @ammar ,

if I am right, the blank fields former were filled with the deleted team?
If you want the Pandia team to be assigned to the hire date, you can do so!

First one note, historical data changes cannot be deleted, but reassigned in regard to the date.

To reassign the data change, simply click on the pencil symbol of the first row of your screenshot and enter the date 01.07.2021, the change should then be effective from the hire date.

In general, I cannot recommend deleting any data that was used in the past, like teams and departments.

Did the reassignment of the date work for you?

Best regards
Marc

So you’re saying it’s legit to have 2 changes for the same date for the same type? How can Endpoin know which one to make first/current? That makes no sense and is “broken” by data engineering standards. You simply should not have 2 entries for the same date. It's clearly a but as data should be conclusive. And it is definitely a bug not to show the team name, even if it has been deleted. Could you please fix that?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @ammar,

sure, it’s important to track several changes that were made on a day, so there is also a timestamp in the historical data changes that does not show up in the list in Personio, so the last change of a day is always at the top of the list. 

I will ping our product team regarding the deletion of the team attribute in the historical data and get back here when there is an update on this.

Best regards 
Marc

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Marc. Thank you for trying to help. But since the API doesn’t deliver any historical changes, the only way to import the data in out database is manual export and import, and there should be no information being “hidden” as it really makes a big difference. I can track teams myself, but please please please, make at least team_id available in custom export, as I cannot use the empty team, names.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @ammar,

I can understand your issue! 
I will contact you via email, as I need some more details to report this to our product team.

Best regards,
Marc

Your reply