Answered

Self-supervisors

• 26 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi community,

newly deployed Personio here. We have an organizational/org chart issue. 

Personio builds up the org chart based on the “who-is-supervisor” model.

We have however some people which are assigned multiple roles in the company. E.G. we have some guys who are also acting as another role “ad interim” that happens to respond to themselves in the organization.

From the workflow perspective everything works as the supervisor is still just one physical person, but the org chart is wrong because “formally” there should be a mid-level that is actually missing and this confuses people looking at the org chart.

This is also an issue with matrix organization as we have some people with multiple supervision paths depending on their assignments.

Is there a way to define “meta-people” or “fake people” to occupy specific positions so that the org chart actually matches the one of the organization?

icon

Best answer by Lena 12 April 2022, 09:22

View original

3 replies

OK, self-replying me…

Just in case it’s useful for others, here is what I did.

1. created a fake person with the same name as the real one and a fake mail (this fake person will never have a login), just added a dot after the name to recognize it
  2. assigned this fake person as supervisor of the various people and assigned the real person as supervisor of the fake one (this way the org chart shows up in the right way)
  3. created a filter for all the people reporting to the fake person
  4. created a specific ruleset in the workflow to have the filter report directly to the real person

It is not ideal, but at least it works...

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thank you, @GlaucoB for sharing your experience! :) 

I am sorry this post has not gotten to our attention in the beginning. I’d like to connect you with @Beat, as I know that he is also working in a company with a matrix organization, maybe you can share further tips and experiences with each other. 

Furthermore, my colleague @Lea Gunkel wrote a Topic on Matrix Company Structure in Personio, maybe this is also helping you in your next setups. :) 

I hope this helps, have a great day! :) 

Best Regards,
Lena

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @GlaucoB , 

Thank you for your input, it is very helpful to read through your workaround. We would like to understand more about your needs as we are looking into providing better solutions for customers with a Matrix organizations

If you would agree to talk with us about it, we would love to set up a quick call at your convenience on this link (I am a UX researcher, our Product manager @Fabian and product designer @saleh would also join)

Examples of questions that we have:

• What should be the approval rights from each manager (specifically for your needs)?
  • What should each of these managers be able to access from their team members (specifically for your needs)?
  • What would be an ideal visualisation?
  • etc.

Thank you and best regards,

Sarah

Your reply