Answered

Terminating employment with different last day of work

• 10 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello, I have tried to find a solution to the situiation when it has been agreed with the employee that the employment ends in the end of June but the oblication to work ends already in May. 

Can I then use termination day as 30.6. and last day at work 30.5. → then they stay in payroll until June but could be inactive in Personio already on 30.5. (no oblication to work, no need to get in). 

I’ve learned last day of work only is applicable when the contract is fixed term, is that so? 

Best, Terhi 

icon

Best answer by International Support Team 11 April 2024, 16:53

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5

Hi @Terhi,

Setting the Last day of work when terminating an employee is just for informational purposes to inform you of their last working day. It does not mean that their profile will be changed to Inactive. The employee's attribute Status will be set from Active to Inactive the day after the Termination date at 00:00 UTC.

You can indeed set the Termination date as 30th June and the employee’s Last day of work as 30th May, in this way their profile will remain active until 30th June!

For a fixed-term employment contract there is a Contract ends preset attribute in the employee profile but similarly, this is for your internal information and does not initiate automatic employment termination on that date. You must set a Termination date, even for a fixed-term contract.

For more information about this topic, you can visit our Help Center article: Manage terminations of employment

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I hope you have a great day! 😀

Best,

Steve

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey, this leads to another question. We have a severance agreement with employee, work obligation ends on 30.4. but according to the contract we continue paying salary normally until 30.8.
As they no more are working, I would like to change the employee inactive from employee view.
But, if I terminate employment on 30.4. they no longer will be visible in payroll reports as needed. 

I tried to move the employee from Active employees list (from Added employees to Available employees) but that did not help. Any way to have this done (=inactive employee without terminating employment)?

Userlevel 5

Hi @Terhi,

This sounds like a similar question another Community member had regarding garden leave. You can view this post here: How to set up a garden leave period.

In your case, the scheduling of a leave period would not work, as salary payment would be stopped in this case.

The employee’s profile must be in Active status in order for salary payments to continue. Therefore, I would suggest keeping their account status as Active and creating a new absence type for this scenario to show that the employee is not working. You can remove all access to this absence type in Settings > Employee Roles > Calendars so that no other employees can view it in their Absence Calendar. You can then hide the employee’s profile from public view. To do this, you can set up a custom rule in Settings > Employee roles > Access rights > Personal data > Public profile. This way, employees cannot search or view this employee’s profile. Please note that as their status is Active, they will continue to be counted on the Headcount report and will accrue Absence.

Thanks for your follow-up and let me know in case you have further questions. 😀

Best,

Steve

Your reply